Clerestory is proud to present its new, studio-recorded CD, Night Draws Near. This exploration of the mysteries of life and death features music inspired by the traditions of Halloween, All Soul’s Day, and El Día de los Muertos.
Our CD was recorded in the dark of night in late July, and gave rise to a new level of singing together. Highlights include two Shakespearean settings (Double, Double, Toil and Trouble by the eclectic Finnish composer Jaako Mäntyjärvi and Full Fathom Five by Ralph Vaughan Williams), John Tavener’s Funeral Ikos, four settings of Lorca poetry, and music from the Renaissance, Mexican, and shape-note traditions.
Discs are available for purchase by clicking at the left sidebar and at all our live performances. Price is $20 per disc. For an additional $5, we will ship up to three discs anywhere in the United States. For purchases of four discs or more, shipping to any one address is free.
We’re proud of the eco-design of our CD jacket, with thanks to our friends at Oasis Disc Manufacturing. This “green wallet” design features 100% certified green forestry practices paper board and a minimum of 10% post-consumer recycled content. All inks are vegetable based, and the cd jacket is fully recyclable.
To save paper, weight, space, and costs, we have made all texts, translations, and notes on the music available online. Please click here for liner notes, texts, and translations. Enjoy!
A Swineshead Production. Recording production, engineering, editing and mastering: David v.R. Bowles, www.swineshead.com.
Production Coordinator: John Bischoff
- Missa da Requiem: Introitus – Claudin de Sermisy (c. 1490â€“1562)
- La déploration Turn Thee, O Lord – William Croft (1678-1727)
- O Quam Gloriosum – Tomás Luis de Victoria (1548-1611)
- Sweet Suffolk Owl – Thomas Vautor (c. 1580-?)
- Epitaph on a Dormouse – Benjamin Cooke (1734-1793)
- Lorca Suite: Canción de Jinete – Einojuhani Rautavaara (b. 1928)
- Lorca Suite: El Grito – Einojuhani Rautavaara (b. 1928)
- Lorca Suite: La Luna Asoma – Einojuhani Rautavaara (b. 1928)
- Lorca Suite: Malagueña – Einojuhani Rautavaara (b. 1928)
- Three Short Elegies: Life a Right Shadow Is – Gerald Finzi (1901-1956)
- Three Short Elegies: This World a Hunting Is – Gerald Finzi (1901-1956)
- Three Short Elegies: This Life, Which Seems So Fair – Gerald Finzi (1901-1956)
- The Shrouding of the Duchess of Malfi – Peter Warlock (1894-1930)
- La Llorona – Mexican folk song, arr. Ramón Noble
- Double, Double, Toil and Trouble – Jaako Mäntyjärvi (b. 1963)
- Funeral Ikos – John Tavener (b. 1944)
- Full Fathom Five – Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872-1958)
- In Flanders Fields – Eleanor Daley (b. 1955)
- War Music: On Horseback – Paul Crabtree (b. 1960)
- Lay Me Low – Traditional Shaker hymn, arr. Kevin Siegfried
- New Morning Sun – S. Whit Denson (1890-1964)
- Nunc Dimittis/The Birds Have Vanished – John Musto (b. 1954)